1. Seek out the FREEBIES – because they do exist!
Whistler has been trying for years to break the misconception that in order to have fun in Whistler you need to have a loads of cash. Because of this, the Municipality of Whistler, in conjunction with other organizations, have teamed up to offer free or super cheap entertainment options.
Here’s a few completely free things to look out for in Whistler this winter:
- The legendary & FREE Fire & Ice Show – This shows lights up the night sky every Sunday during the winter months. The show consists of amazing feats of pyrotechnics coupled with free-style skiing/boarding, usually accompanied by live music of DJ. A show for all ages, grab a hot beverage and prepare to be amazed!
- Introduced in 2011 is the absolutely beautiful and completely FREE skating rink located under the roof of the Olympic Plaza. Adorned with a giant disco ball and some decent tunes, skating under a winter sky while snowflakes gently float to the ground is an amazing experience. Rentals are offered for a nominal fee.
- Holiday Experience – Every year the Whistler Convention Centre is transformed into a playground mecca for younger kids. Bouncy castles, games & mini-golf are available at no cost. This is a great way for youngsters to burn off some energy while giving parents an often much needed break.
2. Book Early
Year after year, Whistler has reliable, consistent and usually amazing snow! Whistler Blackcomb Mountains have an average annual snowfall of 11.91 metres / 469 inches / 39.1 ft per year. Making Whistler a safe bet when planning ahead.
Early booking offers and deals are the best or lowest prices of the season, with lots of extras and incentives thrown in. For example, if you travel with children, booking early will allow you to take advantage of the Kids Stay, Ski, Rent FREE package offers. This will make your family vacation a whole lot more reasonable and allow you to spend money on extra winter activities, such as Zip Trekking (a Whistler must-do!).
If you are planning to vacation in Whistler during Christmas or New Years, booking early is the only way to ensure availability. This is also when holiday season rates are the most affordable. Check out Early Booking Offers.
3. Take Advantage of Locals Knowledge
When travelling to Whistler be sure to tap into the local scene for great tips which will save you time and money. One suggestion is to check the local Newsmagazine, The Pique. This weekly publication will often list great restaurant deals and other activity or retail offers.
As well, be sure to stop and chat with the friendly Whistler Village Hosts. You’ll see the booths located throughout the village. Host are happy to help and usually have the latest info on events and other notable (and often cheap) things happening in Whistler. Another suggestion is to check our Whistler Events page.
TIP! Did you know that there are FREE daily Mountain Orientation Tours on Whistler and Blackcomb? This is a great way to get the inside scoop on the best runs of the day, as well as, little known powder stashes.
Finally, if you’re unclear on which activities to do, or on how much they will cost – simply call us here at Whistler Hotels. We live and breath Whistler and are happy to share information or help you plan your dream vacation 1-877-932-2285.